Thursday, October 18, 2018

THE MEDIUM CAN CHANGE THE MESSAGE

Years ago an elderly illiterate carpenter received some mail and he was very upset about it. A letter was a very unusual thing in his life and he was worried about what might be in it. So he hurried over to the butcher shop and the rough-voice muscle man behind the counter read it aloud.
“This is a letter from your son,” he shouted, “and it says: “Dear Dad, I am sick and haven’t a single cent. Send me some money quick. Your son, Bill.”
Influenced by the hard tones of the reader, the carpenter became red with rage and exploded, “Who does the kid think he is, telling me what to do? I won’t give him a cent.”
In a fit of anger the carpenter walked back home. But along the way, he met his friend the tailor. He stopped him and confided, “I want to show you this letter my boy sent to me.”
The tailor took the letter and read it aloud in his usual calm and cultured way. Suddenly the message sounded different from the carpenter. It came across and appealing and plaintive. It left the carpenter extremely saddened. “Poor Bill,” he said with worry in his voice. “He’s in bad shape. I’d better send him some cash - fast!
So off he went to wire some money for his son.

The message can often depend on the medium!

No comments: